Preventing Cockroach Infestations in Hickory This Fall
October 5, 2018
Homeowners need to be diligent about preventing cockroaches in Hickory this fall. We often make the mistake of letting our guard down as summer ends and many pests begin to hibernate or die off. Unfortunately, cockroaches are not one of those pests. Through the warmer days of fall, inside our cozy homes, cockroaches will continue to be active. Cockroaches can cause dangers throughout the year, and we need to be proactive in taking basic steps to keep them out of our homes and to recognize when we are in over our heads and need to call a professional.
Cockroaches thrive wherever there is an abundant food source and where they have dark sheltered corners to hide in or nice wet areas to inhabit. Your Hickory home can provide these things in the fall. To make your home as unappealing to cockroaches as possible, try the following steps:
- Put all food away in a timely manner, using airtight storage containers or sealed plastic bags for opened food, including pet food.
- Clean up crumbs, wash dirty dishes, and take out trash as quickly as possible.
- Close lids tightly on outdoor trash receptacles and keep them away from the house.
- Keep compost piles in bins away from the house, and yard debris cleaned up.
- Seal up all cracks in the foundation, under doors, in screens, and around windows.
- Use dehumidifiers in basements and attics to eliminate moisture.
- Reduce clutter in storage areas and clean those areas frequently to watch for hiding places.
- Repair dripping pipes, hoses, leaks around drains, and reduce any other sources of water.
Other than their unsightly appearance, you might be wondering why it’s so important to keep cockroaches out of your home. Cockroaches by nature live in environments that are natural breeding grounds for disease and bacteria. As they scurry through trash, animal feces, sewers, and drains, they pick up bacteria on their bodies and deposit them wherever they roam. These bacteria can transmit salmonella and make people sick. Some people can also have allergic reactions or asthma attacks from cockroach infestations.
If you’ve tried DIY methods to keep cockroaches out and aren’t having success, or if you find yourself with an unexpected infestation, it’s time to call the professionals at A-1 Pest Control. Our technicians will come and do a thorough inspection of your Hickory-area home. We offer solutions that are best for your current pest problem, from one-time service to any of our three Home Shield year-round service plans. Reach out to us today for prompt, professional assistance.Previous Next