Is your home infested with termites? What about your neighbor's house? Learn about what attracts…
Celebrate Earth Day 2023 with Green Pest Control & Termite Treatments
Many homeowners in North Carolina are seeking ways to live a more environmentally conscious lifestyle. One important way to do so is by choosing eco-friendly pest control services for common household insects like ants, cockroaches, spiders, and termites. Not only do "green" pest control treatments help protect the environment, but they can also be safer for your family and pets. In celebration of Earth Day 2023, we'll explore some of the best eco-friendly pest control and termite treatments for North Carolina homeowners.
Table of Contents
What Is Earth Day?
In 1970, World Earth Day was established to create public awareness of the environment, living organisms, and community health. The day is meant to inspire everyone to take pride in and better care of the environment. Each year on Earth Day, people all over the world plant trees, clean up local parks and choose to live a more "green" lifestyle.
At A-1 Pest Control, we support this act of awareness and efforts to care for our home. That's why year-round we're helping North Carolina homeowners switch to sustainable termite control solutions and reducing harmful pesticides trickling into our yards and waterways. At A-1 Pest Control, every day is Earth Day.
Green Pest Control Services
Since insects and rodents are a part of the natural world, it may seem a bit ironic to look for green pest control services. However, choosing environmentally friendly pesticides also protects your home and your family.
There are scientifically proven eco-friendly products that we at A-1 Pest Control use to eliminate termites and other pests. There are also ways to reduce the chances of you attracting insects into your home. We'll explore both options for those of you looking for sustainable ways to keep the outdoors outside.
Sentricon® Termite Control
Termites are a particularly destructive insect for North Carolina homes. Signs of a termite infestation should not be taken lightly. Unfortunately, a termite infestation can easily go unnoticed for months or even years - and by then, it's often too late.
In America, termites affect 1 in 30 homes and cause over $5 billion of damage to properties every year.
That's why our exterminators use the Sentricon® Termite Colony Elimination System. This unique termite treatment system uses a bait matrix that is even more mouthwatering to termites than wood. It attracts the colony for a feeding frenzy. The worker termites bring the feast back to the queen who takes the bait.
The active ingredient disrupts the termites' ability to molt. As a result, over time, the entire termite colony will be eliminated.
How Is Sentricon® Eco-Friendly Pest Control?
Not only is Sentricon® an effective solution for preventing termite swarms and eliminating termite infestations, but it's also environmentally safe.
- Only attracts termites: The bait used in the system is specifically designed to attract and affect only termites. The active ingredient in the termite bait has been extensively tested and has been found to have a low environmental impact.
- Non-Invasive: Sentricon® termite treatment is also non-invasive, meaning that it does not require drilling or trenching around your property. This can help to minimize disruption to your landscaping and reduce the potential for soil erosion.
- Up to 4 years of termite prevention: Once the Sentricon® termite bait stations are in place, they can provide continuous protection against termites for years to come. They simply need to be checked annually to ensure there is still bait in place. This can save you time and money in the long run, as you won't need to worry about ongoing termite control treatments - unless, of course, you do see signs of termite damage.
- Sentricon® is limited in the environment and removable.
- Recipient of the Presidential Green Chemistry Challenge Award by U.S. EPA.
- First EPA-registered product under their Reduced Risk Initiative.
- Only grams of active ingredient are needed to eliminate an entire termite colony.
- Recruit HD® termite bait has no EPA designated Signal Word.
- 65% post-consumer recycled materials are used in our packaging.
- Our green plastic stations are made of #2 recyclable plastic.
- All Sentricon stations, components, and the Recruit bait matrix are manufactured in the U.S.A.
- Annual service interval for Sentricon Always Active reduces trips and lowers your carbon footprint.
- LEED builder points are given to green LEED certified structures treated with Sentricon.
- Sentricon has no PPE (personal protective equipment) gear or special clothing requirements.
- Over 5 billion pounds of dilute liquid termiticide have been displaced by 15 years of Sentricon use.
- Sentricon Always Active uses a durable, long-lasting bait matrix anticipated to exceed 4 years longevity.
- 10 million gallons of water annually saved by Sentricon use, which displaces traditional liquid treatments
Ant Control & Treatment
Ants are a common household pest in North Carolina, and they can be difficult to control without the use of pesticides. Still, there are a number of eco-friendly ant control options available. Note that the methods listed below are not long-term solutions to getting rid of ants in your home. The ant treatments listed below also will not rid your home of ant swarms or serious ant infestations.
- The first eco-friendly ant control method is to use diatomaceous earth, which is a non-toxic, naturally occurring powder made from the fossilized remains of tiny aquatic organisms. When ants come into contact with diatomaceous earth, it dehydrates them and kills them. Note that there are certain types of ants in North Carolina that are not impacted by this substance and will go unscathed. This method is safe for humans and pets and can be sprinkled around the areas where ants are entering your home.
- Another ant control option is to use a mixture of equal parts vinegar and water in a spray bottle. This solution can be sprayed directly on ants, and it will kill them after a few sprays. However, it may take multiple applications.
If you have an ant infestation in your home, you should consult a professional pest control company. If you are concerned about using pesticides in your home in any capacity, be sure to speak with your exterminator about other ant control or insect control options.
Cockroaches are another common household pest. There are certain types of cockroaches in North Carolina that are particularly difficult to manage and eliminate. While the eco-friendly pest control option listed below is effective in some instances, at A-1 Pest Control, we always recommend you consult a licensed exterminator or pest control company - especially when seeing a roach in your home.
- One eco-friendly cockroach removal method is to use a mixture of equal parts baking soda and sugar. The sugar will attract the cockroaches, while the baking soda will kill them once they ingest it. This method is safe for humans and pets and can be placed in small containers around your home.
However, if you do see a cockroach in your home and you do not already have a pest control plan in place, it's time to contact a professional.
A single roach can easily become hundreds or thousands in a short amount of time.
Spider infestations are typically rare; however, we have seen some nightmarish spider communities that have moved into unsuspecting homes. While many spiders are harmless and are just a creepy nuisance to have around your home, some spiders in North Carolina are venomous and can even be fatal in some cases.
If you consistently notice spiders in your home, you should contact a pest control company immediately. The eco-friendly spider removal options listed below are no guarantee that your eight-legged intruder will leave.
- One Earth Day-approved green pest control treatment is to use a mixture of equal parts white vinegar and water in a spray bottle. This solution can be sprayed directly on spiders, and it will kill them on contact. Vinegar also has the added benefit of repelling spiders, so you can use it to deter them from entering your home.
- Another option is to use essential oils, such as peppermint oil or tea tree oil. These oils have a strong scent that spiders find unpleasant, and they can be placed on cotton balls and placed in areas where spiders are likely to hide.
A-1 Tested. Earth Day-Approved.
We applaud you for making it this far and hope you've learned a lot about Earth Day and our green pest control services. Our licensed exterminators know exactly how to handle the pests in your home.
And if you have a pest control plan but you're still consistently seeing insects and bugs in your home, you may have issues with your crawl space. A-1 Pest Control in North Carolina also offers crawl space care inspections and crawl space care services.
Remember: if you're in need of an environmentally safe and effective solution for preventing and eradicating termite swarms or termite infestations, the Sentricon® termite system is a proven solution for termite control. It has a low environmental impact, while its long-term effects can save you time and money.
To learn more about green pest control services, or the Sentricon® termite treatment and how it can help protect your home and property, contact our licensed pest control professionals today.
And have a happy Earth Day!